As you getting older, your muscle activity declines. For example, degeneration of muscles will lead to slowness and difficulty in passing stool.
Factor Causes Constipation in the Elderly
- Weak pelvic floor.
- Constipation secondary to systemic diseases. For example: diabetes mellitus.
- Constipation secondary to medication. For example: opioids group of pain killer, anti-depression, etc.
Our Recommendations (avoid laxative):
- Strengthen pelvic floor by doing pelvic floor exercises.
- Take more fiber and water.
- Protect pelvic floor from downward sagging.